BetterEducate.com

Prepare for Re-Opening schools after COViD-19 lockdown

Posted by Lukas Herrmann for Center for Systems Awareness
100 2 2
Apr 09/20 5:12am

This thread here is intended to support our cohort's collaboration in preparing the schools for their re-opening.

We are in multiple sites and locations, on multiple systemic levels and each one is busy in their own site. However, we may be able to make use of each other's experience, since we face similar challenges right now.

Lets circulate the practices and tools we use on those levels (e.g., prepation workshops for educators, community building on a classroom, school and district-level etc.)!

Respond

12 Responses

Apr 09/20 7:40am

Hi Lukas,

As guidelines develop here, I will share practices and procedures. 

Thanks for starting this.

David

Respond

Apr 09/20 10:18pm

Sounds good. We are starting a virtual professional Learning community from next week. Will keep you posted.

best,

Suchitra

Respond

Apr 12/20 8:47pm

Hi Lukas, School reopened today for three weeks of E-Learning after a week of planning, we have produced a sort of principles of E-learning document which is here E-Learning bundle of resources from Jacob

Respond

Apr 12/20 9:04pm

Also one thing which seems to have worked well is keeping the community informed with data on the virus and the global position. Not sure why but it brings people together if we can talk about similar sources, articles and numbers related to the problem. Here is an example of the emails and the graphs  Data to keep community informed

Respond

Apr 12/20 9:12pm

How to support young children’s development when schools have moved to remote learningWatch webinar recording from 8 April.
Monitoring a Changing Landscape: Will students get to university this year? Watch webinar recording from 2 April.
Protecting the mental health and well-being of your communityWatch webinar recording from 2 April.
Complying with data protection principles and upholding privacy rightsWatch the webinar recording from 31 March.
Keeping students safe and protecting their well-beingWatch webinar recording from 26 March.

Respond
Apr 17/20 1:51am

Thank you Jacob for sharing these invaluable resources. Have just looked into the "potecting the mental health" webinar - and it's spot on for what I want to share with the school leaders. Super helpful!

Respond

Apr 12/20 11:09pm

Here is document with tools and resources for teaching remotely

Teaching Remotely - Click on the bold  Tools & Resources

Suchitra

Respond

Apr 13/20 8:16am

This seems like a great topic.  Jacob (hi!) your document on principles is empty or a broken link.  Suchitra your tools and resources link requires One Drive permissions I think.  This also could be that I am idiot and don’t exactly know how to navigate this platform or indeed many aspects of the net.

What I have been wondering about is the process you all are using in order to derive principles, etc.  I am curious who you are asking and how you are going about making a final list or guide you might use?  Who has a voice?  How are you deciding that?  Are the voices weighted?  Is that weighting a conscious process or something unconscious in the system?

The reason I am asking is that in my understanding one of the things these blended and flipped models of online learning can do is radically shift the power dynamics in the classroom.  It is possible to use a change such as this to reinforce agency where it may have been systemically underplayed.  The most obvious example is that agency with respect to learning is explicitly in the hands of the learners, or can be.

Practically, one thing this might have us ask is when you build the online learning model you are going to use, are you fully including the biggest user of that model (i.e. students) in the design process?  Are you asking students?  What weight does their voice have in the process compared to teachers, administrators, parents and technical professionals?  What can we learn from observing the process and decision making models we are using in this moment?  Are they replicating the past or creating a future?

Of course it feels like we are reacting to something and of course we are... we are also creating a future in this moment of reaction to the pandemic.  What sort of future are we creating?  What are we growing in this moment as we decide how to go online and adapt to radical circumstance for an unknown amount of time?

No idea whether these questions might be useful.  They arise from working with a group of professors who decided blended, flipped and other online learning were key to decentralizing learning and empowering the student communities about a decade ago.  As you all have discovered such systemic and cultural changes involve a profound developmental process for educators.  We also learned that for us, this process was best served by an empowered student community with a strong sense of agency about their own learning.  Finally, of course we discovered that the process by which you might work to foster that faculty development and student empowerment was really all important.  And that is why I am asking about that nature of the process by which you all are determining principles to live by going forward.

I will be curious to hear any examples of process being used.  I hope you are all well and safe.

-roger

Respond

Apr 13/20 9:02am

Thanks Roger. Hope you are well.

I want to send the document as an attachment. Does anybody know how to do that? 

Respond
Apr 15/20 12:32am

That would be great, thank you. Unfortunately I don't know. Maybe Julie knows?

Respond
Apr 22/20 11:25am

The best way to 'send' doc's and other files is to post. If we follow each other we will receive a notice. Or, you can paste the Url in this space and we can be linked to the doc/ file.

Respond

Apr 30/20 11:58am

School district 91 has had most staff in the building since returning from Spring Break and we now have some vulnerable learners coming in as well. The district developed excellent Health and Safety protocols that we would be happy to share. They are working well.

Respond

Please login to post a response.